Friday, January 29, 2010

eddie borgo

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Today Gilt had a sale on Eddie Borgo jewelry. I'm not overwhelmingly impressed with it, largely because, like Dominic Jones' work, it just feels like it's capitalizing on the spikes/studs/80s trend and has no real character of its own. But, I gave the sale a peruse, and there were a couple of interesting pieces (although only the last of which I'd consider buying).

The ring: I like the rose gold, it's an unusual choice, and the glass accents and general structure make it look like an early 20th century conception of something industrial. It's a little deco, possibly futurist, and Machine Age. It looks like a microchip modded by an overzealous Steampunk. I back it, but I don't think I'd wear it (rosegold doesn't flatter my skin tone).

The cuff: I like that it's squared, I don't love the rounded pyramids on it. That's about it.

The necklace: It's made of petrified wood!!! Wtf how is that possible? Not that wood petrifies, but that they managed to acquire it for jewelry-making purposes. Did they manufacture it? Did they get it from China, where environmental standards are a joke? Did they raid the petrified forest??!? Also, I like the graining.

source: gilt groupe

No comments:

Post a Comment