Wednesday, December 9, 2009

fall 2009 reconsidered

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
You know, when I first saw this collection, D&G Fall 2009, I wasn't particularly impressed with it. The heavy fabric, the Marilyn Monroe references I think I remember seeing, I had very little feeling towards it either way, actually. It just was. And then today, while browsing through an interminable selection of white and cream runway looks from Fall (I am deeply invested in a winter white 2009), I came upon one of these looks again, and for some reason, they really appealed to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic


Maybe the collection resonates with me now, as opposed to this Spring when I dismissed it, is the fact that I've entirely divested my wardrobe of pants (ok, I still have them but don't wear them). Had I not moved into a co-op and gotten too... shall we say, voluptuous, for my many pairs of almost identical dark, skinny J Brand jeans, I wouldn't have moved entirely to wearing skirts, and thus wouldn't have taken such a fancy to these looks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

But since skirts compose essentially the entirety of my wardrobe now, I can't help but be enchanted by these looks. Or at least the silhouette. I love the rounded little belljar (not sure how to describe it really) skirts that sit at the waist and are so very short. They make the models' legs look miles long, and although I'm not exactly statuesque in height, I still love it. The dark colors, the heavy fabrics, now they just look like the sumptuous trappings of the Russian imperial period rather than stodgy and evoking musty old lace. I'm soooo into it. This could be a new look for me.

Of course, if I'm being honest with myself, this look, this silhouette is not entirely new for me. It's similar to the one Miuccia Prada put out for Miu Miu Spring 2008. And I'm fine with that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment