Thursday, February 11, 2010

blue, part I

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Zero Maria Cornejo, Twinkle, Proenza Schouler, Dries van Noten

ZMC: I actually really love that this print is derived from an image of the ocean - it brings together the chaotic mixing of blue and white in a really visually appealing way without being at all like a hokey Hawaiian shirt. If anything it reminds me of the Great Wave off Kanagawa, but shinier. I also really love that the cut echoes the fluid movement evoked by the print.

Twinkle: Aside from hating the name of this label, I quite like the dress. The print reminds me of a Franz Marc painting, and I'm a big sucker for German Expressionism. I really love the inflections of yellow into the print as well.

PS: Okay, so I'm not the greatest Proenza fan out there. Frankly, I think they make some ugly stuff. But I like the texture here, and the juxtaposition of the black and white against the blue and yellow. I really can't tell what's going on in the skirt part, but from far away the effect is quite nice.

DVN: I love the use of color here. SO MUCH. Everyone knows that Dries is a master of color, and the contrasts here are striking. The Indian blue sari-esque skirt with the orange/red/black top, that (if I could see the print better) I think might be Japanese (bamboo and whatnot?). It looks so vibrant and so fresh. I also love the unexpected green clutch.

source: nymag

No comments:

Post a Comment