Monday, May 11, 2009

show your bones

I was going to start my roundup of skulls but I got distracted by Delfina Delettrez's work. She's getting quite well-known and I've seen her work many times before, so I might as well post some images. Unfortunately her website is inaccessible - at least to me - so information about and photos of her work is somewhat more difficult to put together. But, Dazed Digital has an interview with Delletrez from last year when her Delerium collection debuted and T Magazine's blog has a short profile on her shop in Rome.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Yeah, I know it's crooked. It pisses me off, too.

From an editorial in Vogue UK's March 2009 issue entitled Black & White. There's a video from the Black & White shoot that doesn't give Delettrez's name but shows some nice shots of the ring/bracelet in action. Of course everyone and their great aunt Helen has posted pictures of the skeleton hand (which is way cooler than Beyonce's robot hand, which I actually only know about because I was Googling ideas for a robot costume, honest). If you have about 17,000 Euros to drop, you can buy it over at LuisaViaRoma, or if you'd like to pay 2,000 more it's also available at Colette. Cross my heart and hope to get fat if I'm lying, if I had the 20+k I would buy this in a heartbeat. And then I would wear the most boring outfits ever for the rest of my life, because I would never have to think about it again. It's the ultimate accessory - it upstages everything else so that you can wear a sack and you're still interesting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Delettrez wearing a gold, sapphire-encrusted version of the skeleton hand, about €35,000

Style.com has a snippet from back in the day when her collection debuted. Get ready to be depressed kids, she's only 21 or 22 (not totally sure as the article is oldish). She's a Fendi. Her pieces are already in the permanent collection of the Decorative Arts Museum in Paris. The least she could do for the rest of us is to be ugly or fat. I'd be happy to pass you a tub of ice cream or some cyanide if you want to have a pity party with me. Everyone's invited!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
The piece on the left is a bracelet (available also in "light" silver and gold) and to the right is a brooch. Not as cool as the skeleton hand bracelet/ring/amazingness.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Some pieces from her collection, available at Colette. She does a lot of enamel (?) pieces of animals which don't interest me. But here are the obligatory skull items! The ring reminds me of a calavera de azucar and I find myself feeling a strange longing for churros. Delettrez claims to get a lot of her inspiration from the Churches (some of which feature ossuaries) in Rome.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Eye necklace from NĂºmero, April 2008, modeled by Karlie Kloss

We've been talking about the Evil Eye a lot in one of my classes this semester. The Evil Eye is the product of envy and can be sent either inadvertently or deliberately. However, there are a few means one can employ to defend oneself against it: you can spit on the object of envy (a new baby, your own chest), use a penis to scare it away (yes, really), make various amulets (Evil Eye charms are still given to Greek children at the time of their baptisms).

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
More Delettrez eye jewelry, bracelet and ring

While we're on the subject of the Evil Eye, here are a couple of photos of the Mark Walsh and Leslie Chin eye pieces for Rodarte, also from Colette:

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Brooch, earrings, and bracelet

There are other pieces available - arrowheads and copper pieces, but again, not particularly keen on them. The terrarium-like pieces aren't available on Colette, strangely.

If'n y'all was wantin' more evil eyes, Trend de la Creme has put together a list of evil eye jewelry.

sources: the fashion spot, style.com, colette, the fashion spot, luisaviaroma, colette

1 comment: