Monday, May 11, 2009

in memoriam

Let us remember Thorn NYC, the erstwhile jewelry line by Andrea Genti and India d'Arthenay, which is no longer. For so long I was obsessed with a particular necklace of theirs, of which I cannot for the life of me locate a picture. Their website went down, and for months I was confronted with this sad image:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But, it was an image that held the promise of a return - and an array of jewelry more glorious than ever before! Alas, even this has been taken down and their domain name has expired. I mourned this quietly. But today, upon attempting to consolidate a list of animal skull necklaces, I was confronted with the sad image of their Victorian mouse skull necklace.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

These photographs here are the only ones I've been able to find. There are a few more out there, I'm sure, but other than a tiny picture on Daily Candy, this is just about it. There is no particular reason that I find Thorn's cast jewelry of seed pods, shells, beetles, bones and other detritus more appealing than all the others, but I do. Thorn, you have my undying loyalty. Sorta. Your type of jewelry is not difficult to find, and yet I have refrained from turning to another jeweler for my naturalia needs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Thorn, you will be missed. I hope that this eulogy is premature (and I apologize for the fairly inelequent sendoff) and that you return to us someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment