Wednesday, May 6, 2009

this is obviously old news...

but I was perusing the items in my inspiration folder earlier and I came upon the photos of Comme des Garcons FW09 show. CDG (these letters always make me think Charles de Gaulle, but I had a 20 page paper due this morning and I will abbreviate if I want - any Leslie Gore fans in the audience?) has never really been my thing. For whatever reason I don't find their collections speaking to me - or maybe I've just been to lazy to go through the style.com archives. In any event, I wanted to post these two photos not because I've fallen completely under the sway of Erin Wasson's homeless chic and have decided that it's sartorially appropriate to wear blankets, but because I love the tight, cropped jackets and the voluminous folds created by the fabric that protrudes from under them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

I do have a jacket somewhat like the photo on the right - it's a dress uniform jacket from WWII that my dad gave me when I was ten and still fits me, albeit somewhat differently than it did originally. It was obviously made for a soldier of rather petit stature and I love it dearly, but it's somewhat fragile and I've lost a couple of buttons. Obviously I can get them replaced with (identical, even) vintage buttons but I'm too scared to wear it out now. The same thing happened with a red coat I bought at a vintage store in Madrid two years ago - it's missing one button and I can't wear it, and whenever I think about it I feel sick to my stomach that I ruined a jacket that has been in pristine condition for more than 40 years. But then I console myself with the thought that the button is probably somewhere in my house and will turn up one day.

Anyway, probably because the weather here is miserable and gray, I'm feeling the longing for cashmere sweaterdresses and all manner of coats. I have one jacket that might work for this look, but I'm not sure it's fitted enough.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By some freak accident I managed to get this on Bluefly for half off long after it had sold out from the few online boutiques that seem to carry Nicholas K. It's tight in some respects but probably not enough to achieve this look. The other problem is that the rather enormous collar might detract from the overall effect I'm trying to create. If I were less period-y and gross and broken out I'd get up and take pictures of myself with the jacket and my complex geometries split square tee.

The jacket does not look this cool on me. I think it's because I bought it in a medium, and thank god I did because it barely buttons over my chest. My breasts are a constant source of consternation for me because they are always getting in the way of me wearing what I want or forcing me to size up. They're not particularly large, but I still find myself resenting their presence whenever I want to wear something backless or with low-cut armholes, racerbacks, or anything drapey. My body is just not very standard in sizing, and I suppose I should just have everything tailored. Anyway, I have to put this jacket to better use because I love it passionately. It seems to be an unrequited love, but I am undeterred.

P.S. Forgive the somewhat iffy writing here, I am completely spent from writing that paper (and have another due tomorrow - on Neopythagoreanism).

source: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment