Monday, May 11, 2009

china white

The JC Report says that porcelain jewelry is in. Given what I've seen of porcelain jewelry in the past, this was unexciting news, but since what I do love most is someone reinterpreting a material and using it in a completely new way, there has to be some hope for legitimately cool porcelain baubles. The only example that I have encountered as of yet is a project called Urban Cast Away that Dror Benshetrit did for the Construkt/Marithe+Francoise Girbaud shop three years ago. Fairly recently some of the pieces were still available for purchase, but no longer. Weak. Not that I could have managed to wear one without shattering it, but still.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


If I remember correctly, the forms are made by dipping pieces of vintage fur into porcelain and then firing them. I love the shapes they create, like those high-speed photos of a drop of milk splashing into a puddle. They also remind me of the fragile curves of ruffled nudibranchs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In any event, I love the organic forms created in the process, and I love that if cracked open they'd reveal tufts of aging fox fur. There's something mildly creepy about them, as they do resemble, in the broadest sense, human teeth. I have no problem with wearing human teeth, as the prospect of having my wisdom teeth pulled was made brighter by the thought of what I could turn the uprooted teeth into. I feel like they would make good cufflinks, but I'm just going to drill a hole through one and string it on a chain. I actually wore a plastic dentures charm to a denim-on-denim/accessories party on Friday, allegedly from the 70s, that I bought at a vintage store in high school. And, even more coincidentally, today as I was reading The Swindler for one of my classes, I noticed that one of the characters is in possession of a rosary made of dead men's teeth. Although hers is for witch-purposes rather than a sartorial choice. Needless to say I am intrigued by the idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This last piece reminds me of a bird or animal skull, which I rather like. Eventually I'll do a post on Skulls That Don't Suck, but I have yet to come upon sufficient fodder for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment